As part of the Meet the Maker food sessions at Top Drawer trade show, I enjoyed doing a live interview with the brilliant Ruth Holbrook, head of wholesale at the well-known London cheese purveyors, Paxton & Whitfield.
This was part of its live line-up area called RetailFest, that hosted a mix of inspirational talks on female entrepreneurs and their businesses, through to practical sessions interspersed with bite-sized business lessons.
Ruth and I talked about topics including:
- How to inspire customer loyalty
- How to enter the wholesale market
- The challenges and opportunities of working in the world of cheese retail, including: manufacturing, finances, finding clients, expanding your team, and quality control
- Expansion and growth of the brand
- Food trends and trends around flavour, packaging, ‘local’ and ‘artisan’
- The UK cheese revolution